National Sports News

Danny Ainge: Lonzo Ball’s camp ‘politely said no’ to pre-draft workout

Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge confirmed Thursday that Lonzo Ball’s camp has informed the Celtics he will not work out for them prior to the NBA draft. During his weekly appearance on Boston sports radio 98.5 The Sports Hub, Ainge said it’s not an ideal situation, with the Celtics eager to evaluate all top talent while owning the No. 1 pick. But he noted that the Celtics have drafted players who didn’t work out for them in the past. “We tried to get [Ball] in,” Ainge told the “Toucher and Rich” program while Boston’s front-office staff traveled for a draft workout in New York that included Duke’s Harry Giles and Kentucky’s Malik Monk. “We don’t deal with [Ball’s camp] all that much. They didn’t show up at the combine, which is very common — many of the top 10 or 15 players don’t show up for the combine. … We just tried to get him in for a workout and they politely said no.” ESPN’s…

Read More

Giants’ Brandon Marshall addresses Sheldon Richardson comments

Brandon Marshall stepped to the podium after New York Giants OTAs and knew what was coming. ” Sheldon Richardson questions, go ahead, open up,” the Giants wide receiver said, well aware of what Richardson said about him the other day at New York Jets camp. Richardson told reporters: “The locker room is a whole lot easier to get along with now,” Asked to elaborate, he smiled and said, “Man oh man, y’all are thirsty. Let’s just say I’ve got 15 reasons why it’s better.” Fifteen is Marshall’s jersey number. He wore it with the Jets and is doing the same after being cut and signing a two-year deal with the Giants this offseason. It wasn’t a surprise for Marshall to hear criticism coming from Richardson specifically. They had their run-ins last year, and it had become public. But, he said, it still hurt somewhat to hear it again. “I’m human, so,” Marshall explained. “Like I said, the first couple years of my career,…

Read More

Warriors GM: Steve Kerr’s status for the NBA Finals remains unclear

Warriors general manager Bob Myers says the team still does not know whether Steve Kerr will be able to coach in the NBA Finals. Myers said Kerr has been at practices and in coaches’ meetings but still has not been able to coach. “If something changes and he feels better, I’ll sit here — or hopefully he’ll sit here — and he’ll tell you.,” Myers said. “But right right now I can’t say he will be coaching.” The team returned to practice following a two-day break after completing a four-game sweep of the Spurs on Monday night to improve to 12-0 this postseason. The 51-year-old Kerr underwent a procedure May 5 to repair a spinal fluid leak stemming from complications after a pair of back surgeries in 2015, after the Warriors won their first championship in 40 years during his first season as coach. Kerr returned to practice May 13 after more than three weeks off the court. He then traveled for the Western Conference finals to San Antonio and has…

Read More

Josh Norman: Dez Bryant ‘just a guy’; Odell Beckham Jr. ‘a kid’

Josh Norman said in an interview with Bleacher Report that his battles with Dez Bryant and Odell Beckham Jr. will be even more heated this season and could result in “a lot of fines and maybe some suspensions.” The Washington Redskins cornerback had said he wanted to move beyond his personal battles with the receivers, but his comments in the Bleacher Report story published Thursday indicate otherwise. “Trust me when I tell you, it’s going to be bad blood this year. You think the NFC East didn’t like each other before? This year right here? There’s going to be a lot of fines and maybe some suspensions,” he told the website. “I’m going to be honest with you: This s— is going to get really ugly. Because I do have a safety [ D.J. Swearinger]?that don’t give a f— and I definitely don’t. And I know they don’t have that many people on the offense who do on their side.” Asked what will happen if his matchups with Bryant…

Read More

Oscar De La Hoya calls potential Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor fight ‘farce’

Oscar De La Hoya is not a fan of the proposed showdown between boxing icon Floyd Mayweather and UFC superstar Conor McGregor. And that’s putting it mildly. De La Hoya, one of boxing’s most significant promoters and a 10-time world titleholder in six weight classes, issued an open letter to fans on Thursday slamming the proposed fight between Mayweather, who plans to exit retirement for the bout, and McGregor, the biggest star in mixed martial arts. “To my fellow boxing fans, I write in the hopes that together we can protect the sport of boxing,” De La Hoya wrote. “With each passing day, it looks more and more likely that the circus known as Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor will be coming to town in the near future. As undercard fights start to take form, athletic commissions give their blessings in exchange for millions of dollars, and the fighters start counting even more cash, one group will eventually be left to make sure this farce doesn’t occur — we, the…

Read More